Greetings and farewells

الكاتب : abbad4004   المشاهدات : 533   الردود : 4    ‏2004-12-26
      مشاركة رقم : 1    ‏2004-12-26
  1. abbad4004

abbad4004 عضو

التسجيل :
    الإعجاب :
    [bor=FF00CC][align=justify]Dear brothers :

Here are the differences between the two sentences: ‘How are you?’ and ‘How do you do?’ that everybody use in our daily life :-
    Formal greetings :
    How do you do? is very formal and is not used very much, especially by younger people, these days. It may be used on first meeting and accompanied by a formal handshake when both partners issue the same greeting. The reply to How do you do? is How do you do? Then it would be a matter of getting straight down to the business in hand, e.g. ‘I see that your company has been performing very well in South East Asia...'

The more usual exchange between two people meeting with a handshake on a fairly formal basis for the first time would be: Pleased to meet you. Or: Nice to meet you.

Informal greetings :
    The most common way of greeting someone both at an informal level and more formally would be: Hello! How are you? to which the standard reply is: Very well, thank you. or: Fine, thank you. (Note that the question is not usually meant or interpreted as a searching enquiry after the person’s health.) After we have given this reply, we often repeat: (And) how are you? or: (And) what about you? The response is still the same: Fine, thanks.

At the most informal level, among friends and particularly among young people, the most common greeting would probably be: Hi! to which the response is: Hi! This might then be followed by one of the following: How are things?, How’s things?, How’s it going?, (Are) you OK? to which the answer is probably: Yeah, fine! or with typical British understatement: Yeah, not so bad!

Formal farewells :

At a formal level, and again accompanied by a handshake, the most common farewell would probably be: (It was) nice to meet you or Nice to have met you. If a follow-up meeting has been arranged, this might be accompanied by: I’ll see you in three weeks. Bye, now.

Informal farewells

At a more informal level too, on first meeting, it would be quite normal to say: Nice to have met you. Bye/Goodbye.

Among friends, farewell might be taken (by a combination of) some of the following:

'See you.'
    'See you later./tomorrow./on Saturday./etc'
  2.   مشاركة رقم : 2    ‏2004-12-26
  3. lonely man

lonely man عضو متميّز

التسجيل :
    الإعجاب :
    its so great topic
    We want more like that
    Go a head and write us more

4.   مشاركة رقم : 3    ‏2004-12-26
  5. Rami83

Rami83 عضو متميّز

التسجيل :
    الإعجاب :

What a useful post

Thank you dear brother for your efforts

and accept all my love and regards

6.   مشاركة رقم : 4    ‏2004-12-27
  7. العسيب

العسيب مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    الإعجاب :
    [grade="FF4500 4B0082 0000FF 000000 F4A460"]dear brother its really nice subject

i remember that day when i was reading same as in BBC..
    it was really very good from you that you post it over here

all my love to you brother

and let me add this to you r subject

Colour idioms

white colour idioms

go as white as a sheet
    white coffee
    a white-collar worker
    tell a white lie
    whiter than white

red colour idioms

be in the red
    see red
    roll out the red carpet
    paint the town red
    a red-letter day

blue colour idioms

a blue movie
    out of the blue
    scream blue murder
    the boys in blue
    a blue-eyed boy

you rs

[grade="FF4500 4B0082 0000FF 000000 F4A460"]there is never wrong time to do something right [/grade]
  8.   مشاركة رقم : 5    ‏2004-12-28

ALMUHAJEER عضو متميّز

التسجيل :
    الإعجاب :
    thanx for the nice topic

مشاركة هذه الصفحة