الكاتب : Rita Alshoaibi   المشاهدات : 412   الردود : 8    ‏2007-12-03
      مشاركة رقم : 1    ‏2007-12-03
  1. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    RAM is an acronym for Random Access Memory. It is a type of computer memory akin to a person's short-term memory. Data that must be accessed quickly is kept in RAM, such as running applications and open files. When a computer does not have enough RAM, it is forced to allocate part of the hard disk in place of the missing RAM, which hurts performance. Modern operating systems such as OS-X, Windows XP, or Linux need about 256 MB of RAM to perform satisfactorily, and 'heavy' operating systems such as Windows Vista require 1 GB (1025 MB) of RAM to run. Users who open many files or programs at once, or those who play graphics intensive games or video, may need twice that amount or RAM.

To better understand RAM, think of a person with a notepad. We'll call him Bill, and if you tell him a 7 digit phone number, he will be able to remember it for a day without writing it down. Additionally, he will be able to dial the number quickly. Bill's memory is like RAM: it holds a limited amount of information for a limited time, but it is accessed quickly. If phone numbers were 96 digits long Bill would not be able to remember it, he would need to write the phone number down in his notepad. Although the information (phone number) would never be erased (forgotten), it would take Bill longer to pull out his notepad, look up the phone number, and then to dial it than it would take him to dial the number from memory. Bill's notepad is akin to what is called 'swap space': an area of the hard disk that is used in place of RAM when the computer does not have enough RAM.

RAM logo

Although there are several types of RAM on the market today, they are not interchangeable. That means that before purchasing new RAM, the user must check what type of RAM is currently in his system, and what types of RAM his motherboard will accept. Also, extreme care must be taken when handling RAM modules. Often, just touching them in the wrong place will partially damage them. This is a common cause of frustration, as damaged RAM will continue to function, but only part of the RAM will be available. For instance, a 128 MB RAM module that has been in a pants pocket may have 32 MB damaged, and it will provide only 96 MB of usable RAM to the computer. The damage is not visible to the eye, and only with specialized software or equipment can the damage be assessed.

2.   مشاركة رقم : 2    ‏2007-12-03
  3. warrington1

warrington1 قلم فضي

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-10-29
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    BAA
    AAWW

I very much apprciate your valuable contribution as a member and also now as a moderator. You certainly deserve the vote to be a moderator as you speak your mind, but to be honest with you I didn't vote at all . I only started to participate in the forum last month. What is the procedure to vote? Is it on this forum and if so could it be fixed in any way? I'm just curious

4.   مشاركة رقم : 3    ‏2007-12-03
  5. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

thanks
    for ur nice pass

the adiministration asked for the voting for the moderator
    and
    u couldnt vote - as u said - u had to be a member here before

[​IMG]

6.   مشاركة رقم : 4    ‏2007-12-03
  7. yemen_samurai

yemen_samurai عضو متميّز

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-03-19
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

very nice sister
    really great work

thanks for sharing that

8.   مشاركة رقم : 5    ‏2007-12-03
  9. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

thanks a lot magdi for looking for the topic
    u are always welcome

[​IMG]

10.   مشاركة رقم : 6    ‏2007-12-04
  11. BLUE RAY

BLUE RAY عضو متميّز

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-09-20
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    as always , great topics

thank u for sharing...by the way i might take a copy of this topic to

thetopic called science,,,,if u dont mind

what is it like to be a moderator..............do they give mony:D

go ...........gooooooooooo awaaay

we dont want u here

leave us alone

at last a woman control us

what the hell is happening to this world

ohhh my god this is the end of freedom, democratic , and humn

rights

we will not keep quit....lady

we will fight for our freedom and justice

we will not go qitly to the night

we will not vanish with out a fight

got u ..hahahahahaaha

u really took that seriously...........

hahahahahahahahahahaaha...........

looooooooooooooooool

i`m woundring how did feel

:D :D :D

12.   مشاركة رقم : 7    ‏2007-12-11
  13. سد مارب

سد مارب مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2001-11-29
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    there are more then kinds of memoreis at computer RAM ,ROM,DDRAM,SDRAM,FLASH RAM,and for one of them special difinetions , this topic is talking about one of them only about ram
    i will return with the others kind of MEM.

THE BEST REGAREDS FOR U​

14.   مشاركة رقم : 8    ‏2007-12-11
  15. المآسـي

المآسـي قلم فضي

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-10-16
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Sister Rita

do you know why the Ram will decrease ?

and how to fix it

16.   مشاركة رقم : 9    ‏2007-12-11
  17. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

oblivion, i hope i got it right and this will help u:

There is a common misconception with system memory (RAM) and system resources. Windows uses a segment of RAM to store system objects such as window and other object handles, fonts and system resources. This is not the entire RAM installed in your system.

Increasing system RAM certainly helps but it may not get rid of the low system resources problem. Installing a large number of fonts is one way of eating up a large chunk of this system space. As you open new applications and new windows are created objects to support the windows are created in the system resource space.

When you right click on the My Computer icon and choose properties and then the performance tab, the % of system resources free relates to this system space and not your total installed RAM. You can have 20% resources free but that doesn't mean you have used 80% of your installed RAM.

Windows uses a swap file on the hard disk to extend the physical amount of memory actually available. This means that even though you may only have 64Mb of RAM you can still run more programs than will fit into that space. When an application is not in use it's RAM al........ is "paged" out to the swap file on the hard disk and called back in to memory when the application starts again. This paging action obviously causes some performance overhead. This is why increasing your RAM improves your PC's performance.

Another reason you may be getting low memory problems is if your C: drive is almost full and Windows is unable to allocate enough swap file space. You can check the virtual memory settings by right clicking My Computer, choosing properties and then the perfomance tag and click the virtual memory button at the bottom.

The default setting is to let Windows manage the virtual memory settings. This is fine so long as there is enough space on drive C:. If drive C: is particularly full and you have another disk drive in your PC you may choose to specify your own memory settings and place the swap file on the second hard disk. The size of the swap file should ideally be 1 to 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have installed. Don't disable the virtual memory settings. This will almost certainly slow your system to a dead stop.

You can check the size of your currently allocated swap file by displaying the size of the file win386.swp in C:\windows. If you have a lot of free space on drive C: and the default virtual memory management setting then Windows will increase and decrease the size of this file on demand. If you have limited space on drive C: then you may be better off to relocate the virtual memory swap file to another drive that has more space or clear some space from drive C: to enable Windows to allocate a larger swap file.

Hope some of that made sense ;)

:M4::M4:

مشاركة هذه الصفحة