مشاركة رقم : 1    ‏2007-10-24
  1. YemeniQueen

YemeniQueen مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-09-05
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Salam

It’s really hard sometimes to really find the right words to express how I feel. I’m not talking about a specific matter…I am talking about everything in general. Writing has always been the best way for me to express my thoughts and feelings towards everything. I used to write constantly and enjoyed every bit of it!

People channel their emotions differently. I prefer to express everything in writing. Sometimes it doesn’t make sense and other times it makes perfect sense. Yet, I yearn for that moment when I get to have time to myself to write. I can’t really write when someone is around me. To me, it feels like an invasion of privacy. One needs space to write his/her thoughts and feeling and I most certainly do need my space.

The biggest issue that I had was having others read my work. I was never really comfortable with such an idea. Like I said, it felt like an invasion of privacy. Then, I started thinking about it recently and I’ve come to realize that it wasn’t just invasion of privacy that concerned me; but it was also the fear of being criticized for my thoughts and feelings. Was I being paranoid? Maybe; and I had my reasons for being as such.

My friends would ask me if they can read my writings, and I would refuse. I was embarrassed and uncomfortable. I didn’t know how I would react to their criticism and for that reason; I would opt to play it safe.

The problem with our Yemeni culture is that we are taught not to trust others with private matters out of fear that we will be betrayed. This includes thoughts that one writes in a journal. We are not really “allowed to” or “supposed to” let them know what our thoughts and feelings are. They might “reveal” our secrets to other people, especially ones we consider “enemies” and that pretty much means almost everybody we know.

Some people tend to hold their emotions inside and explode sometime in the future. While others tend to let it all out right there and then. So who is criticized the worst? Is it those who hold in their emotions or those who erupt like volcanoes?

In my opinion, either way you decided to do it, you are screwed. Why? Well, for one, if you decide to erupt like a volcano, they will say that you are in need of anger management or they will simply label you a “doushan/doushanah”. If you decide to keep your feelings bottled in, you are regarded as “tha3eef” (weak) and, in Yemeni terms, that translates to stupid. So no matter what you decide to do with your emotions, you are going to get a hefty label to go with your name.

So, I ponder on this issue of revealing one’s emotions with heavy considerations to its pros and cons. It is really sad that we have to think about thinking of revealing our thoughts to others. They say talking about how you feel helps to lift some weight off your shoulders. It may be true, but not according to our Yemeni customs and traditions.

These are my thoughts for now. Thank you for reading and feel free to comment on this.

My regards,
    Queen​

2.   مشاركة رقم : 2    ‏2007-10-24
  3. الشاب عادل

الشاب عادل قلم ماسي

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-03-14
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    I'll be back after the exam :D

4.   مشاركة رقم : 3    ‏2007-10-24
  5. mummy

mummy عضو فعّال

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-07-14
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    my dear YemeniQueen
    what to say? you are really touch one of the most important thing we face it in oure life

we need to know what is mean privacy?

many of us they do not care about the privacy

without doubt so great topic

forgive me for my weak english

6.   مشاركة رقم : 4    ‏2007-10-24
  7. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

my queen, it was so interesting, that u shared that with us ....................i thank u so much

[​IMG]

8.   مشاركة رقم : 5    ‏2007-10-24
  9. YemeniQueen

YemeniQueen مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-09-05
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Insha'Allah

I am interested in what you have to say with regards to this :D

10.   مشاركة رقم : 6    ‏2007-10-24
  11. YemeniQueen

YemeniQueen مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-09-05
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Thank you dearest brother for your input. You are right, Privacy is an issue these days....We dont have much of it.

ولا تشيل هم انا فهمت عليك

اختك في الله
    ملكة اليمن

12.   مشاركة رقم : 7    ‏2007-10-24
  13. YemeniQueen

YemeniQueen مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-09-05
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Dearest Rita
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I always enjoy reading everything you have to say, even if I dont comment....it doesnt mean I didnt read. :)

See, in our Yemeni culture, we are taught that we shouldnt trust someone unless you've known them for quite some time; and even then, it's not encourage to trust someone in the event that a misunderstanding happens with that person, they might tell others your secrets.

I know in the West, people are brought up to assume everyone is sincere and good unless they are exposed in one form or another as being deceitful. In Yemen, its not really so...you have to assume they are deceitful, unless they prove to be trustworthy. I always hear things like, "oh be careful" "dont trust anyone, you never know" blah blah blah....It is an interesting and disturbing twist, for lack of better words. lol

I guess what I was trying to say in my first post, is that we, yemenis, have to channel our emotions in ways that cannot be regarded as "loose" (rakhi) ...meaning you are lacking control over yourself.

ragards

14.   مشاركة رقم : 8    ‏2007-10-25
  15. عــاهد

عــاهد مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-09-30
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

الملك الله

16.   مشاركة رقم : 9    ‏2007-10-26
  17. shareef

shareef قلم فضي

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-03-07
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Such an impressive analysis Queen. Indeed you are a great writer, and writing or transferring emotion into a piece of paper was always the channel for expressing feelings, such as a poem or a story. And like the famous Arabic poet says
    انما الشعر شعور ولو كان شعير لستحسنته الحميرُ​
    Which translate respectively to: if poetry was crop, donkeys would crave it, but poetry is "feelings"0
    As you said and I agree with, our Yemeni culture always taboos such things that shouldn't be so, especially for women And there is nothing wrong with writing for women, many women were writers and poets in the days of the Prophet (PBUH) and their work still famous until this very day , but hey!! I think you will find some answers in your own work
    Shareef​

18.   مشاركة رقم : 10    ‏2007-10-27
  19. عــاهد

عــاهد مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-09-30
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    YemeniQueen, i am the opposite person

No matter what it is, i'd always keep my emotions deep inside of me. I'd mingle with the environment, regardless of hardships in my way

I find this ideology suitable for me, because a man...has to be strong in this life and never complain about it, but if you do that reveals how weak you are.....its almost as if you were giving up! And Arab men are not used to this...its a ladies impression

Sometimes, it could be selfish because others don't know whats roaming inside your head...and you might make aimless decisions.
    But if you have the right person that you really trust share your concerns...
    !

Again this was my perspective.

مشاركة هذه الصفحة