مشاركة رقم : 1    ‏2007-10-17
  1. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Qat

Qat is an evergreen plant originally from East Africa. A shrub or small tree growing to 5–8 m tall, with leaves 5–10 cm long and 1–4 cm broad, qat is classified as an illicit substance in most of the world. It is not considered physically addictive, although many chewers claim dependency. The chewer puts qat leaves in his/her mouth and chews them slowly for hours, alternately sucking the liquid out of the qat and sipping a beverage (usually one that is quite sweet, like soda.) The qat is not swallowed.

Qat has a negative effect on the kidneys and liver. Coupled with related harmful activities, such as smoking while chewing, qat can significantly shorten the lifespan of the heavy chewer. Qat is also considered to have a negative effect on the Yemeni economy. It is not an exportable product, yet a considerable amount of the country’s natural resources, labor force and, perhaps most significantly, water is spent to cultivate the plant. Qat, however, is far more profitable for the rural farmer than produce, a fact that has lead to the steady increase in qat production and decreased production of other agricultural products. Others believe that qat is a reason for family breakdown because it strains family financial resources and damages family bonds due to the frequent absence of male family members who chew away from home.

There are certain benefits for a foreign student who chooses to chew qat while in Yemen. Since qat chews are the most prevalent social activity in Yemen, it helps a student infiltrate many circles of Yemeni life. Qat is chewed at weddings, negotiations, government events and even daily working environments. It is so important to Yemen’s social, political and economical venues that those who do not chew often find integration into these realms difficult. Some people think that qat makes them physically and mentally active. Yemeni college students often claim qat is an important part of their study practices. In the afternoon, a visitor to Yemen will notice that the majority of men have begun to chew, and it would be difficult to find a taxi driver, for example, who does not begin chewing shortly after lunch. Whatever one’s position on qat in Yemeni society, its presence is undeniably pervasive and impossible to ignore

What do u think about Qat?
    Do u think if there would be more work in Yemen they would chew less Qat??????????
    What are the big Reasons for that????

2.   مشاركة رقم : 2    ‏2007-10-18
  3. Bero

Bero الجهاز الإداري

التسجيل :
    ‏2005-06-14
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Dear Rita...qat ...qat...qat...This is Yemen...Ahhhhh..It is a big big big problem we face in Yemen...You don't know that we are now facing the lack of water and they are trying to save this water only for QAT...!!! Yemen is threatened of dryness...Allah Yustor....I'm calling all Yemenis guys...Please help us to take this blight out and try to get use of our wasted time....If this tree is vanished, life will be better here in Yemen....You know that the annual spending for qat is 156million Dollar.....!!! Is that acceptable

Bero

4.   مشاركة رقم : 3    ‏2007-10-18
  5. YemeniQueen

YemeniQueen مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-09-05
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    About 60% of water is used for qat...the rest of the 40% is used for everything else...

I agree with you Bero that we do need to get rid of qat...but its not that easy

Many families depend on the qat revenue. This is how they make their living.

The problem with people chewing qat is that, they spend their whole day sitting around chewing qat! then ate night they sleep until morning where they actually do something.

If the government helps out the families by giving them other plants or vegatations to plant in place of qat, that might help out.

Also, the younger generations are soo hooked on the qat. I think if we, the educated generation, somehow influence the younger kids to stop chewing qat and spend their time doing something beneficial and rewarding, we might be able to destroy it.

If more people start developing a dislike for it, it will not sell. If it doesnt sell, many will not grow it.

Personaly, I hate qat and I hope it gets destroyed for good. But it will not be easy to get rid of it for the simple reason that many families depend on the revenue they incur from selling qat.

Great topic Sister Rita...Thanks and I really like how you think.

6.   مشاركة رقم : 4    ‏2007-10-18
  7. Victim

Victim عضو نشيط

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-10-03
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    i can't imagine life without Qat

مولعي عسر
    ahhahahah

8.   مشاركة رقم : 5    ‏2007-10-18
  9. البكيان

البكيان عضو متميّز

التسجيل :
    ‏2005-02-18
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    important topic .

I agree with you about problem

it's big problem

best wishes

10.   مشاركة رقم : 6    ‏2007-10-18
  11. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

thank u so much BERO for giving ur opinion here, i appreciate it a lot

[​IMG]

12.   مشاركة رقم : 7    ‏2007-10-18
  13. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

thanks a lot sister yemeni queen, i like ur way of thinking too and thanks too for giving this great feedback

[​IMG]

14.   مشاركة رقم : 8    ‏2007-10-18
  15. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

16.   مشاركة رقم : 9    ‏2007-10-18
  17. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

albakian
    thanks a lot for giving a reply
    i appreciate it

maybe u can share a little bit more about ur opinion

[​IMG]

18.   مشاركة رقم : 10    ‏2007-10-19
  19. عــاهد

عــاهد مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-09-30
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    unfortunately we only have dry gat here, smuggled all the way from Somalia or some thing!

and if you did find any fresh ones they be costly.

مشاركة هذه الصفحة