مشاركة رقم : 1    ‏2007-08-09
  1. العندليب

العندليب مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-04-04
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Salam Alikom..
    As we discussed in the previous topic , we'll put topics for reading everyday or every two days . and we take question from the passages and you guys try to answer them from the passages context

here we start .. ​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* The most important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative, and the second disastrous. -- Margaret Fontey

* If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going. -- Irwin Corey

* If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live a life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. -- Henry David Thoreau
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Rings, Lost and Found
    Angels can help you find anything--even small, precious treasures.

*By Joan Wester Anderson

Toward the end of her life Diana's mother, a cancer patient, was quite frail. One late summer day, Diane decided to take her to a street festival at Oaks Park. As Diana pushed her mother's wheelchair along, the two women looked at the wide variety of merchandise displayed. At one point they came across some vendors selling items from Finland. Diana's mother was Finnish and quite delighted to meet people who shared a common language. She ended up buying an amethyst ring set in silver, imported from Finland. The asking price was $20. "Mother offered $15, and the offer was accepted, which gave her quite a bit of happiness as Mother always liked to 'make a deal'," Diana says. "She loved that ring and wore it continuously on her right hand."

One day Diana had a doctor's appointment and brought her mother along. It was sometime later that they realized her mother's ring was gone. "We thought it had come off when she washed her hands in the restroom," Diana says. That seemed the only realistic possibility, but the ring had not been turned in by anyone at the medical center. "We both looked in the car, on the floor, in her apartment, just everywhere," Diana says. "Several times we looked and ran our hands through the side-pocket of the car door as Mother liked to keep Kleenex there. The side-pocket was always empty, even of the usual Kleenex." They didn't find the ring.

Sometime later, Diana took her mother on a grocery shopping trip. She was growing weaker now, and Diana treasured their time together. As Diana wheeled her to the car the sun was setting. "As I opened the front car door to assist my mother from the wheelchair, a ray of light from the setting sun cast itself on the side-pocket of the car door," Diana says. "I could not believe what I saw. It was the amethyst ring! As I took it out and presented it to my mother, we were both completely silent--in thanksgiving and in awe."

Why would angels be interested in returning an ordinary ring to two ordinary women? Perhaps, since Diana's mother was approaching the end of her life, the ring was meant as a sign of hope, a promise that he had not (f o r g o t t e n )them and would be near them always.

*-...-*

When Barbara Zabielski's mother died ten years ago, Barbara inherited her wedding ring. Eventually Barbara's own rings became too small for her, and recently she began wearing her mother's ring instead. One day she visited her doctor to get an injection in her hand, and she took off the ring while receiving the treatment. "I thought I put it in my pocket, but when I got home, it wasn't there," Barbara says. "I was very upset, so I went back to the doctor's office to see if it had possibly dropped out of my pocket." No success. No one had seen the ring.

Barbara searched her house inch by inch, to no avail. The ring was certainly outside, probably lying in a parking lot or a sidewalk. She would never find it. So she prayed that whoever did find it would love and cherish it as much as she did.

About two weeks later, Barbara was in the basement when she heard a noise. It was a bird, flying around the room! How had it gotten into her house and into the basement? "I tried to catch it, and then I called my husband," Barbara says. "He was astonished, but we finally got the bird to go upstairs." Following it, they got to the first floor and realized that the bird had disappeared. Where had it gone?

Barbara began looking around. "I even started moving things, just in case the bird was caught somewhere," she says. And when she moved the coffee table, there was her mother's ring.

"I had vacuumed right there earlier in the week," Barbara says. She is sure that the ring was not there then. Nor did she ever find the bird, but she believes that little creature was actually her guardian angel. And why not?

Reprinted with permission from Joan Wester Anderson's website.

========================== The End ======================

* please give me your notes about today's topic :
    - is it too long !
    - is it boring ?!
    - it is okay .. or we shall change the style !

* if the topic contains non-islamic Matters .. pls let me know ..

* Rita or Samia .. could u plz help me Taking Question and putting them and we all answer them .. :) .. i'll do that in the next topics !! or the one who answers .. would put tomorrow's topic .

thanks all

Al-Andaleeb

2.   مشاركة رقم : 2    ‏2007-08-09
  3. العندليب

العندليب مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-04-04
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Salam Alikom..
    As we discussed in the previous topic , we'll put topics for reading everyday or every two days . and we take question from the passages and you guys try to answer them from the passages context

here we start .. ​

* The most important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative, and the second disastrous. -- Margaret Fontey

* If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going. -- Irwin Corey

* If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live a life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. -- Henry David Thoreau

Angels can help you find anything--even small, precious treasures.

*By Joan Wester Anderson

Toward the end of her life Diana's mother, a cancer patient, was quite frail. One late summer day, Diane decided to take her to a street festival at Oaks Park. As Diana pushed her mother's wheelchair along, the two women looked at the wide variety of merchandise displayed. At one point they came across some vendors selling items from Finland. Diana's mother was Finnish and quite delighted to meet people who shared a common language. She ended up buying an amethyst ring set in silver, imported from Finland. The asking price was $20. "Mother offered $15, and the offer was accepted, which gave her quite a bit of happiness as Mother always liked to 'make a deal'," Diana says. "She loved that ring and wore it continuously on her right hand."

One day Diana had a doctor's appointment and brought her mother along. It was sometime later that they realized her mother's ring was gone. "We thought it had come off when she washed her hands in the restroom," Diana says. That seemed the only realistic possibility, but the ring had not been turned in by anyone at the medical center. "We both looked in the car, on the floor, in her apartment, just everywhere," Diana says. "Several times we looked and ran our hands through the side-pocket of the car door as Mother liked to keep Kleenex there. The side-pocket was always empty, even of the usual Kleenex." They didn't find the ring.

Sometime later, Diana took her mother on a grocery shopping trip. She was growing weaker now, and Diana treasured their time together. As Diana wheeled her to the car the sun was setting. "As I opened the front car door to assist my mother from the wheelchair, a ray of light from the setting sun cast itself on the side-pocket of the car door," Diana says. "I could not believe what I saw. It was the amethyst ring! As I took it out and presented it to my mother, we were both completely silent--in thanksgiving and in awe."

Why would angels be interested in returning an ordinary ring to two ordinary women? Perhaps, since Diana's mother was approaching the end of her life, the ring was meant as a sign of hope, a promise that he had not (f o r g o t t e n )them and would be near them always.

*-...-*

When Barbara Zabielski's mother died ten years ago, Barbara inherited her wedding ring. Eventually Barbara's own rings became too small for her, and recently she began wearing her mother's ring instead. One day she visited her doctor to get an injection in her hand, and she took off the ring while receiving the treatment. "I thought I put it in my pocket, but when I got home, it wasn't there," Barbara says. "I was very upset, so I went back to the doctor's office to see if it had possibly dropped out of my pocket." No success. No one had seen the ring.

Barbara searched her house inch by inch, to no avail. The ring was certainly outside, probably lying in a parking lot or a sidewalk. She would never find it. So she prayed that whoever did find it would love and cherish it as much as she did.

About two weeks later, Barbara was in the basement when she heard a noise. It was a bird, flying around the room! How had it gotten into her house and into the basement? "I tried to catch it, and then I called my husband," Barbara says. "He was astonished, but we finally got the bird to go upstairs." Following it, they got to the first floor and realized that the bird had disappeared. Where had it gone?

Barbara began looking around. "I even started moving things, just in case the bird was caught somewhere," she says. And when she moved the coffee table, there was her mother's ring.

"I had vacuumed right there earlier in the week," Barbara says. She is sure that the ring was not there then. Nor did she ever find the bird, but she believes that little creature was actually her guardian angel. And why not?

Reprinted with permission from Joan Wester Anderson's website.

========================== The End ======================

* please give me your notes about today's topic :
    - is it too long !
    - is it boring ?!
    - it is okay .. or we shall change the style !

* if the topic contains non-islamic Matters .. pls let me know ..

* Rita or Samia .. could u plz help me Taking Question and putting them and we all answer them .. :) .. i'll do that in the next topics !! or the one who answers .. would put tomorrow's topic .

thanks all

Al-Andaleeb

4.   مشاركة رقم : 3    ‏2007-08-09
  5. keep it real

keep it real قلم ذهبي

التسجيل :
    ‏2007-05-16
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

i like these wise words
    keep up the good work

6.   مشاركة رقم : 4    ‏2007-08-09
  7. Rita Alshoaibi

Rita Alshoaibi مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-02
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    The most important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative, and the second disastrous. -- Margaret Fontey

so meaningful words - i appriciate them

and u got a YES for this

[​IMG]

the story i will read later and give a feedback

8.   مشاركة رقم : 5    ‏2007-08-10
  9. samiah

samiah مشرف سابق

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-30
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    . The questions in this section are based on the passage, story or article in your practice Reading Section (above). You may go back to the Reading Section to help you answer the questions.

whoever answers the question's first, has to post 2 short Reading passages (as Al-Andaleeb did)1

reading passage#1
    _____
    Questions
    ______

Q1- What color was Diana's mothers ring?

2Q-When Diana went to her doctor's appointment what did she realize later during the day?

3Q- Where did Diana find her mothers Ring?

Reading Passage#2

Q1-When did Barbara Notice her ring was gone?1

Q2- What was making the noise in Barbara's basement?2

Q3- Where did Barbara find the Ring?3

10.   مشاركة رقم : 6    ‏2007-08-11
  11. حنين الغد

حنين الغد قلم فضي

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-10
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :
    Q1- What color was Diana's mothers ring?
    Silver

2Q-When Diana went to her doctor's appointment what did she realize later during the day?
    She realized her mothers ring is gone

3Q- Where did Diana find her mothers Ring?
    in the side-pocket of the car door________________________

Reading Passage#2

Q1-When did Barbara Notice her ring was gone?1
    When she got home

Q2- What was making the noise in Barbara's basement?2
    A Bird

Q3- Where did Barbara find the Ring?3
    she found the Ring when she moved the coffe table
    _____

I hope there right

12.   مشاركة رقم : 7    ‏2007-08-11
  13. حنين الغد

حنين الغد قلم فضي

التسجيل :
    ‏2006-07-10
    المشاركات:
    الإعجاب :

Stuck in the Desert by Saeed Al-Qamzi

Three years ago on the last day of January, I had a big problem. I can't forget this day forever. The story began when my uncle, my cousin, and I went to the desert. My uncle was the oldest at 72 years old, but he was still strong. My cousin at that time was 10 years old, and I was 25 years old. All of us liked hunting. Usually we went hunting on the weekend, especially in winter, because winter is the hunting season.

On the 25th of January, we decided to go hunting. All things were ready in the car, a Range Rover with four-wheel drive. We began on Thursday afternoon, and it took us three hours by car. We reached the place we were looking for at 5:15 P.M. First, we fixed the tent, then we made coffee and had a few minutes of rest. After that, we left to go on the hunt. We hunted using a falcon. Often, we hunt birds and rabbits. We spent two hours without finding anything. We decided to go back to the camp. On our way back, my cousin saw a rabbit. He cried, "Rabbit!! Rabbit! Quick!" I took the falcon's head cover and flung it off aggressively. When the rabbit saw the falcon, it ran fast, but my falcon was a professional hunter. He flew up and came down to trick the rabbit. After two minutes, the rabbit was caught. We took it and went back to the camp where we started to cook our dinner. We ate the delicious food, drank Arabic coffee, and sat around the fire talking until 10:30 P.M. Then we went to bed.

We left camp the next day at 7 o'clock in the morning. We went north and found two kinds of birds and caught them. However, we faced trouble at 10:00A.M. because the car got stuck in the sand! We spent about three hours trying to pull out the car without any progress. Finally, we decided to walk. I talked with my uncle about how hard it is for an old man or a young boy to walk more than 40 km. in the desert. He agreed with me. So I took a bottle of water with me and started to walk south alone. I knew the way well, but it was a long way in the sand. I walked more than four hours without stopping. I felt tired and thirsty. I drank all the water which was in the bottle. I stopped to rest, sleeping around two hours.

When I got up, darkness had covered the area. "What should I do?" I asked myself. I continued to walk south. I was worried about my uncle and cousin, and they were worried about me also. Suddenly, I met a Bedouin man who was riding his camel. He took me to his house. When I had had enough rest, I asked him to take me to the road and he did. After that, I found a car which took me to the city to get help. I had one day to get back to my uncle and cousin. When I got back to them, they were so happy because I had gotten help and they were able to see me again.

Eventually, I learned a lesson from this story, which was that the desert is very dangerous. Next time, when we go hunting, we must go in groups with two or more cars. If we go together, we can keep each other safe. We know the desert is dangerous, but we will never quit hunting.

Which of the following is NOT true?Q1

Saeed's uncle was over 70 years old-A

Saeed was younger than his uncle and his cousin-B

Three males went hunting-C

Winter is the hunting season, so they went hunting in January-D

Saeed's uncle was an old, but strong man-E.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Choose the correct answer.

The Range Rover had front-wheel drive-A.

The group left for the hunting trip at 2:15 P.M-B.

After resting, they fixed their tent-C.

During the first two hours, the group found animals to hunt-D.

The rabbit tricked the falcon-E.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Which is NOT a reason that Saeed had to walk forty km.?

The car got stuck in the sand-A.

It was hard for an old man or a very young boy to walk 40 km-COLOR="red"]B[/COLOR].

Saeed did not know the way and he became lost-C.

The group spent 3 hours trying to pull the car out of the sand, but-D
    could not.

There was nobody around who could help the hunters-E
    get out of the sand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Which is NOT true about the Bedouin man?
    He was riding a camel-A.
    He took Saeed to get help-B.
    He took Saeed to his house-C.
    He allowed Saeed to rest-D.
    He took Saeed to the road-E.

6 What lesson did Saeed learn from his experience?
    Hunting is dangerous and he will not hunt again-A.
    When hunting, Saeed will use a different type of car-B.
    When hunting in the desert, people should go in groups-C
    with two or more cars.
    Bedouins are not helpful to strangers in the desert-D.

7 What is the main idea of the story?

You must train a falcon well to hunt in the desert-A.

Saeed loved his family and loved to go hunting with them-B.

Because their car got stuck in the sand, the hunters learned-C
    that the desert can be dangerous.

Saeed was strong enough to walk 40 km. in the desert-D.

مشاركة هذه الصفحة